The quest for the perfect Twitch chat client
Created: 2018-04-23 11:53:32 -0700 Modified: 2019-02-03 16:06:29 -0800
Final conclusionSection titled Final conclusion
Putting this first since I’ll probably never update this note again…
HiDeoo made a chat site and included all of the features that I would want: https://yata.now.sh (it’s the best). The only problem is that he’s obviously limited to what the Twitch API supports, so you won’t see special events like Subtember resubs.
BackgroundSection titled Background
Twitch deprecated the chat pop-out that I used to use. Before they deprecated it, I got used to a bunch of features that I’d like to still get from some other chat client:
- The ability to click someone’s name and see their past messages
- Loading chat from before the stream started when you first arrive somewhere
- The ability to see an account’s creation date
- The ability to see emotes from various extensions (BTTV, FFZ)
- The ability to quickly purge/ban
- The ability to copy messages without all of the badges showing
- Need to at least be able to send whispers from this dialog and ideally have an option to show/hide received ones
- The ability to gift points to someone quickly
- The ability to preview images before opening them
- The ability to highlight mentions that aren’t my Twitch name (e.g. “Adam” instead of “Adam13531”)
- The ability to ignore mentions (e.g. don’t highlight “Adam13531” when said by BotLandBot)
- The ability to ignore a user completely through the UI (even if it’s by typing “/ignore”).
- The ability to see a user’s ASCII name rather than their localized one
- The ability to search through messages
- The ability to see an account’s follow/view counts
- Reload history of chat when you first open the program (ideally including the history from when the program wasn’t open)
- Rename history for a particular account (e.g. “OldName renamed to NewName on January 1st, 2017”)
- You can add buttons for any action basically; I can put one there for gifting points.
- Copy/paste is easily parsable
- Mod actions can all be relegated to the pop-up
- There’s no individual chat history when you click someone’s name
- It seems like you have to refresh the page at first for it to work, but there’s no indication that it’s not already working.
- You can’t seem to have a single-panel layout if all you want is chat; you can just make the second panel really tiny.
Problems with TCSection titled Problems with TC
- No chat history
- No way to search through messages (i.e. no ctrl+F)
- Doesn’t seem to show that raids happened
Problems with new Twitch pop-outSection titled Problems with new Twitch pop-out
- Whispers aren’t allowed at all
- Double-clicking a user’s name will put it into chat, but it won’t close the pop-up that appears