Created: 2017-01-05 09:50:38 -0800 Modified: 2017-01-05 10:59:42 -0800
Getting startedSection titled Getting started
I tried out Hyper on 1/5/2017. My conclusions: I don’t like it right now. A lot of things don’t work as expected (or they don’t work at all on Windows). I like the idea of Hyper, but I think I need to give it more time.
The configuration is located at ~/.hyper.js
Installing plug-insSection titled Installing plug-ins
- Add the plug-in’s name to the configuration file (hyper.js)
- (that’s it, you’re done; it will install/uninstall plug-ins based on whether a plug-in is specified in your config)
Go to ~/.hyper_plugins npm i -S <name of plug-in>
- If you hit an error saying you cannot install plugins, run
npm prune && npm install --productionmanually in
~/.hyper_pluginsand restart, It’s an issue with how bash works on windows. https://github.com/zeit/hyper/issues/1166
Curated list of plug-ins that Hyper recommendsSection titled Curated list of plug-ins that Hyper recommends
Functionality I wanted to set up (but couldn’t or didn’t care enough)Section titled Functionality I wanted to set up (but couldn’t or didn’t care enough)
- Coloring tabs programmatically. Something like this might be possible with this, which changes the appearance of the terminal based on the current shell prompt: https://www.npmjs.com/package/hyper-autoprofile
- Changing the spectrum that hyperterm-dibdabs uses by default so that it’s not just blue.
- Try to hide the close buttons on tabs by adapting something like this:
- I want to be able to click file paths (e.g. from “lint”) and have them open in Sublime. It doesn’t seem like any mouse-related functionality works on Windows.
- For looking into how keyboard shortcuts work, check out this plug-in: https://www.npmjs.com/package/hypernpm
- Running things on startup: https://www.npmjs.com/package/hyper-startup
IssuesSection titled Issues
ThemesSection titled Themes
I can kind of get a colored prompt to work by copy/pasting what ConEmu does out of C:Program FilesConEmuConEmuCmdInit.cmd - it doesn’t really look right though when I call that from Hyper.
Copy/pasteSection titled Copy/paste
This just doesn’t seem to work that well.
Git Bash (i.e. not Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)Section titled Git Bash (i.e. not Bash on Ubuntu on Windows)
I can’t get up/down to work for history. Ctrl+R doesn’t work for searching through history. Tab doesn’t work in MySQL for autocompletion.
To fix the history problem at least, you need to set Bash as your default shell for Hyper to use. Just put this in your config:
shell: ‘C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin/bash.exe’
This doesn’t fix ctrl+R. I think that’s because ctrl+R is reserved by Hyper to reload plug-ins.